William John Newman
William John Newman
William John Newman  ‎(I483)‎
Surname: Newman
Given Names: William John
Also known as: William Jackson Newman

Gender: MaleMale

Birth: 25 February 1842 24 31 South Witham, Lincolnshire, England
Death: 25 November 1922 ‎(Age 80)‎ Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, USA
Personal Facts and Details
Birth Birth 25 February 1842 24 31 South Witham, Lincolnshire, England

Marriage Marriage Mary Gulick McKean - 14 November 1870 ‎(Age 28)‎ Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, USA

Death Death 25 November 1922 ‎(Age 80)‎ Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, USA

William J. Newman death certificateWilliam J. Newman death certificate

Burial Burial November 1922 ‎(Age 80)‎ Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, USA

Last Change Last Change 11 April 2009 - 09:56:45 - by: mbpetey
View Details for ...

Parents Family  (F95)
William Newman
1818 - 1851
Mary Ann Jackson
1810 - 1886
‎(unknown)‎ Newman
1839 - 1839
Thomas Newman
1840 - 1851
William John Newman
1842 - 1922
Sarah Ann Dorothy Newman
1844 - 1897
Martha Mary Newman
1846 - 1847
Allen Jackson Newman
1849 - 1850
Stephen Jackson Newman
1851 - 1912

Immediate Family  (F91)
Mary Gulick McKean
1851 - 1894
William McKean Newman
1871 - 1939
Mary Ann Newman
1873 - 1878
Theodore McKean Newman
1875 - 1932
Stephen Allen Newman
1878 - 1956
David Newman
1880 - 1959
Thomas Newman
1882 - 1945
Arthur Newman
1885 - 1909
Edward Gulick Newman
1889 - 1978
Stonewall Jackson Newman
1891 - 1967
Francis Newman
1893 - 1961


!BIRTH Film# 933238 Lincolnshire Parish Records, England
MARR Marriage to Mary Gulick MCKEAN is verified by the L.D.S
Biographical Encyclopedia page 328
MARR Marriage to Jennie FREEMAN 19 SEP 1917, LICENCE #A027925
page 948 Salt Lake City, Utah

This document copied from Journal and Memorandum of William J. Newman by his grandson, David Hirst Newman, in whose possession this following record and history lies.


Being rather unwell and consequently having some leisure, and also realizing the necessity of keeping a record of the principal events in ones life, that in the far future he may look over the pages of the record and see where the improvements in his condition might have been better still, and also for reference to others and more than all believing it to be a duty, I will now proceed at this late day to collect my memory and some scraps of paper and writings that are before me to give a s careful a history as circumstances will permit. This being 13th July 1870.

I was born 25th Feb 1842 in South Witham a village of Lincolnshire, England. Consequently was 28 years of age last February. My fathers and mothers names -- William Newman and Mary Ann Jackson.

My father was born in Witham as also his father and grandfather. Socially, he was in moderate circumstances having a freehold property, a small farm as also a trade, being in the baking business and had a tolerable good education.

My mother was born in Langtorft, Lincolnshire. Her fathers name was J.B. Jackson. Her mothers name Ann Bellairs. Both were in good circumstances her father being an excellent scholar. He was born in 1783 in Cottesmore, England. Died 17 April 1847 -8. Ann Bellairs born 1790. Died 24 March 1823.

I have nothing very eventful to relate until my parents embraced the Gospel, except naming my brothers and sisters, Mary Ann being the first born - born 17 April 1839. Thomas Allen, born 30th May 1841, Died February 13th 1851 in Saint Louis, Miss ouri, United States.
The next myself.
Sarah Ann Jackson, born 17th May 1844
Martha Mary, born August 1846
Alien Jackson, born 1849
Stephen Jackson, born 8th May 1851 in Saint Louis, Missouri

My parents embraced the Gospel of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints some time in 1848 at Grantham,Lincolnshire. Some time after my father was ordained an Elder of the Church and appointed to preside over the Witham Branch. I and myb rother were baptized by our father in July1850. Though very young, I remember making a determination to be a good and truthful man having so been taught by my parents.

On 17th October 1850 nearly twenty years ago, my father and family started for America to the gathering place. Accompanying us were my fathers brother Thomas and sister Ann, with a young person named Lucy Francis and a young man named John Broomh ead. Crossed the sea in the Ship Joseph Badger in the unprecedented time of 5 weeks and 2 days from Liverpool to New Orleans, being very uncomfortable on the ship there being 1/2 of the passengers Irish. We were grateful that we were again on the land. We then proceeded up the river to Saint Louis, arriving on the 5th of December 1850 -- strangers in a strange land. Father found and rented a house on Tenth Street and Carr where he moved us and then rented a bake house, with the intention of commencing business for himself, but just at this time he was prostrated with sickness from which he never recovered, but grew worse until he died on the 11th of Feb. 1851 of Typhoid Fever. My brother died two days later. Myself being very si ckat the same time. A few weeks before my mother was also sick, but recovered in time to nurse us, which, under Providence I owe my recovery. My father dying and leaving us penniless, my mother made great exertions to sustain us and worked at the shoe binding together with our friend Lucy Francis who helped to sustain the family, for which may she be rewarded.

I myself went to school on Wash. St. in the High School about 2 or 3 months. Then being anxious to earn something I hired to an upholsterer to sew mattresses. Stayed about 2 months--the dust being very bad for me. I then hired to a hatter on Broa dway—he sold out. I then went to the party he sold out to and stayed with them until coming away to the Valley in the spring of 1853.

My Uncle dying of cholera before we and J. Broomhead after, I was the only male member of our family who reached the Valley that crossed the sea. We started, I think, in June from Saint Louis and went up the Mississippi River as far as Keokuk, Io waand there by the kindness of a man named Carter we occupied a portion of his wagon in company with a family by the name of Tanner the old Gentlemen having married my fathers sister Ann. We found the road very bad across Iowa until reaching Coun cil Bluffs. We then started
across the plains 1000 miles. At this time there was no settlers except at Fort Laramie on the entire road.

Not having a team of our own we had to walk a great deal. I hired to a gentleman of name C. Arthur to drive one of his teams and continued to drive for him until accidentally run over by a loaded wagon and crippled until reaching Utah. It was in Sept. 1853, I being then 11 years of age. Stephen my young brother being very weak and sickly and about 2 1/2 years old, he occupied considerable of my mother’s time. The first work I done was to dig potatoes on shares getting every seventh bush el. I earned enough to last us pretty well into the winter. That winter my mother sent me to school to the Presidents School House on 365 East South Temple St. Teachers name Dixon, though he was a very cross man at the time. The spring following I was hired for a year to Harrison Burgess for my board and clothes and schooling in the winter. Went to school in the 16th Ward to Mr. Galley. The next season worked in the adobe yard for James R. Hall. My mother taught school. This
season was very bad to make a living for grasshoppers they destroyed every green thing. I sold my adobies for cash and bought flour with it which lasted us until the following May when it was very difficult for us to procure flour until July. Thi s season I again worked at the adobe making. Being naturally very ambitious I worked to the detriment of my health. In Sept. I worked a short time at shingle making up at Alexanders Sawmill up in Mill Creek Canyon. Spent the following winter insc hool with G. W. Mousley.

I was ordained a Teacher in the fall of 1856. On Feb. 22nd 1857 I was ordained a Seventy in the 57 Quorum of Seventies, in March 15th 1859 I received my Endowments and this season the celebrated proclamation went forth in the United States that t he Mormons were in a state of rebellion and it was necessary to send an armed force to bring them to subjection. An army of 7000 men was sent but got no farther than Hams Fork that season, and before spring a pardon was granted the Mormons for th eir “awful” rebellion, but I think it was late before reaching here. We moved south in May and during this time a great number of our brethren were up in Echo Canyon. On our way South we met Governor Alfred Cummings, who stopped our wagon, Iwas t hen driving and he asked me why the people were moving. I told him it was the Counsel of the Leaders of the people, at which he hummed and said queer people and passed on. On my arrival in American Fork, I helped James Clark finish his house whic h we had the use of and stood guard nights until some time in June. I came to the City and planted some potatoes in the lot as I saw the Bishop and some others doing. I waited down at the City until the word came that we could move back toour hom es. I then went to American Fork and moved my folks back to the City. We got back just after the troops had moved through. They had encamped about three miles from the City; their camp extending three miles in length. It was stipulated inthe Trea ty that the soldiers should not build a post within 20 miles of Salt Lake City. They now sent their Quartermaster to search out a location. He reported two, one in the Tooele Valley, the other in Cedar Valley- The latter being taken, thetroops mo ved down there and commenced building up a post, naming it Camp Floyd after the Secretary of War in Buchanan's Cabinet. The name was afterwards changed on the outbreak of the Civil War in the States to Camp Crittenden, one of the Cabinetof Lincol n. Many of our merchants here got their start in business; and it seems as though they always remembered it, for they were ever after trying to get up another crusade against the Mormons, which I hope they will not be able to do, although we have gained an experience that will be good for us in the future, if we ever have to move from our homes through persecution.

From this time to 1860 I worked at adobe making in the summer and winter went to school. In the spring of 1860 the mutterings of rebellion in the States on account of the election of Lincoln, republican candidate for President.

This year I made some adobies for L.D. Young and earned 6 sheep in10 days; let them out on shares for half the wool and lambs. In 1861, Lincoln being inaugurated, the war broke out in the States. The Southern States seceding from the Union. Thefi rst call I think was for 60 days, men to suppress the rebellion, showing how great an idea the administration had of the secession, it being a 5 year war. Grant succeeded in suppressing it by the surrender of Lee.

My time was pretty much taken up in summer, worked in the canyons getting wood. In 1864 I took Mr. Roses farm on shares, raised 75 bushels of wheat, also corn, potatoes. The seed of t»he wheat I had to borrow in the spring and at harvest paid 2bu shels for every one borrowed. I borrowed off Mrs. Sessions and W. Woodruff.

In 1865 the war closed in the States. Soon after Lincoln was assassinated in a theatre. In all my time from 1853 to 1865 I had tried adobe making, charcoal burning, farming and canyon work of all description; teaming and ‎(---)‎ . The two previous winters I had neglected school and worked at charcoal burning. Wish now I had attended school more regularly 1865 farming did not amount to much, this year water being too high, did not raise much. I am getting too fast, 1861 the water was veryh igh on Jordan Street flooding both sides and going down several streets north above us. I had to work hard to keep it off of us. This year, 1862, T. Cottam being called on a mission south to Dixie, I was called by the Bishop to act as assistantto Bro. Fisher. Snow was deep in the mountains
for 2 or 3 winters in succession, which made the waters very high in the spring. In 1866 I again tried farming on Roses land and sugar cane on Mrs. Sessions lot. ln the canyon most of the summer peeling bark and hauling timbers for a bridge acros sthe slough over Jordan. In the fall worked for Theodore McKean on the road driving team and continued until 1869 except in winter went to school to G.W. Mousley in the City Academy for 3 months in winter and in the summer worked for Territorial Road Commissioner Theo. McKean Driving team and building roads and repair same, superintending 8 or 10 men and teams principally on State Street between 9th and 12 South. In 1868 G. W. Mousley died and there being no one at hand to continue his school with educational qualities the Trustees and Bishop Kesler selected myself and Daniel Wolstenholme to supervise and continue same for the balance of term.

The next winter taught school in the 16th Ward School House, having been employed by the Trustees. In May 1869 worked on the Railroad as a bookkeeper for the Young, Snow and Meeker Co. who had a contract on the Promontory constructing the road. A nd remained on the job until the road was completed and witnessed the last rail laid the spike driven connecting the two roads on Promontory Hilly the Union Pacific and Western Pacific. I then came home with the money I earned, bought a mule team and commenced
freighting principally to Ophir taking merchandise out and bringing back ore from the mines.

The Sunday School of the Sixteenth Ward had its organization on the First Sunday of May 1868 with W.J, Newman as Superintendent assisted by quite a number of young men and women all unmarried being selected by Bishop Kesler who was in favor of th eyoung teaching the young. But this did not work very well so we had to accept the services of our older Brethren and Sisters which assisted us in making it the success it proved to be. During 1869 and 70 continued freighting until 1871. Could no t make anything of it,

Married in 1870 November 14th and spent the following Winter Spring and Summer in freighting. In Sept. of 1871 my oldest son was born and I was up at Ophir at the time and could not get home for 2 or 3 days after. I felt determined to get other e mployment. In the following month I found a position as salesman with S.P. Teasel & Co. in the shoe department and was employed there twenty-three years. During this time all my children
were born, the tenth being born on December 18th 1893, 9 boys and one girl.
The year 1894 was certainly an eventful one for roe. My Dear Wife Mamie or Mary as she was named, departed this life, leaving me with nine children to care for. I surely had a great task ahead, but put my trust in the Lord who never fails us if w e will do right and be obedient to his commands.

I felt the load of bringing up my children aright and providing for their future quite a task. Our little daughter Mary or Pansy as we called her having died at the age of six years or near about, I was left with nine boys whose names in proper o rder were William McKean, Theodore McKean, Stephen Allen, David Crockett, Thomas, Arthur, Edward Gulick, Stonewall Jackson, and Francis.

I will just relate the number and kinds of employment I have been engaged in through my life. In St. Louis in 1852 I went to work for a mattress maker for $4.00 per month. This amount just paid our rent. I was well pleased at this because it just paid our rent. I was then 10 years old. The dust from the mattresses was very bad for my health. I looked for another job and succeeded in finding one with a Hatter on Broadway. My work was to brush the silk hats and watch the front of the store for customers. The hats were manufactured in the rear. Also to deliver hats to customers in the City. I stayed with them until starting for Utah in June 1853. The proprietor of the store offered my quite an inducement to stay with him but mother said she was going to the Valley and would not leave her son behind.

We left St. Louis in June 1853 and by boat up the Mississippi River as far as Keokuk and then by team across Iowa somewhere about 300 miles to Council Bluffs. After crossing the Missouri River started for Utah, 1000 miles to Salt Lake City and af ter roading‎(?)‎ streams we arrived in Salt Lake City on the 23rd of September 1853. I, W.J.N. being lame at the time, I obtained the first view of Salt Lake Valley from the top of the Little Mountain and a little of the Great Sale Lake and after r iding down the Canyon some 5 or 6 miles we had full view of Salt Lake Valley which was to be our future home. We passed the first night after coming down to the City at Bro. Eldred's, corner of South Temple and Third West. The next day we searche dfor a home and found one for rent on 2nd West between 1st North and 2nd North and lived there until near Christmas, then moved to a more convenient home on South Temple and 5th West. The next spring I lived with Bro. Harrison Burgess. I was to h ave my board, clothes, and schooling for the year. My clothes consisted on 1 home spun overshirt and one pair of pants. The work I had to do was driving oxen to the canyons for wood and taking care of the children when at home in the summer. West to the Canyons with H. Burgess who was a shingle maker. Had some pretty hard work at this business. With a cross cut saw sawing blocks from timber and bunching shingles, dragging timbers with oxen. Boiling water from the Great Salt Lake to make salt for household purposes. Went fishing on Utah Lake, helped catch trout, 2 or 3 barrels at a haul at the mouth of Provo River, crossing the Lake in a boat from Lehi. Also worked on the wall around Lehi a few days—built to protect the resident s from Indian Raids and in the winter I did the chores about the Burgess home and went to school for 3 months in the winter. The next spring and summer worked the adobe yard making adobes for a man names James R. Hall. The following winter went t o school that my mother taught 1855. The following summer I again made adobies, 1856, and in the fall sold them to the County to build the Courthouse on 2nd West and 2nd South. It was fortunate that I had worked and received the case for themfor the grasshoppers had eaten every green thing up and flour was very scarce. Mother took the money and bought 300 lbs. at $6.00 per sack and she had great foresight for she saved it as long as she could and did not commence on them until aboutFeb. We used one sack a month; after starting it lasted us until the 1st of May and then we had to live on bran bread and roots. No flour to be had so we lived as best we could. We got some barley meal later until July. I think this scarcity gave us all a good experience. We sure appreciated good living thereafter.

I worked in the adobe yard that summer. This year, nothing eventful occurred. In the fall I went to school and in the winter the reformation was started. The ruling was that all should be rebaptized. In the spring a portion of City Creek came dow n between South and North Temple Streets, the 16th Ward people was baptized in the creek on 3rd West between North and South Temple Streets. After this the people seemed more earnest in living their religion and with an increased desire to assist one another in their every day life. There certainly was a good spirit among the people. It was the desire of all to assist and help their Brethren and Sisters who were in need and brought a most delightful spirit among the Saints.

Ecclesiastically was ordained a Teacher in 1856, was visiting in that capacity for 2 years amongst the saints in the 16th Ward. Was ordained a Seventy in 1857 in the 57th Quorum, a few years later was chosen as one of the Presidents of the 57th Q uorum. I still acted as one of the teachers of the Ward visiting the people. Same action as in the two past years visiting the Saints and teaching among the people.

The Army having come into Utah and camped down to Camp Floyd and apparently settled there to watch the Mormons. We had plenty to do to haul down to them provisions and other freight to keep us busy. The Civil War had started between the NorthernS tates and the South. Most of the troops at Camp Floyd had gone back East and joined the Army they desired to fight in. I still kept on my armor, being a minute man. I was supposed to be to battle for the right. I also kept tilling the soil. Plant ed wheat over the river and sugar cane in the City lot belonging to Isaac Hunter on 5th West. Raised a nice crop and took it to the Mill and gave Hunter one half the molasses for 3 or 4 years I farmed Mrs. Roses land over Jordan.

--------- Appendage - by David H. Newman, grandson -------------

This history ends abruptly at this point. Evidently William John Newman intended to finish same and some future time, but never did.

He went on to prominence in Salt Lake and vicinity. In connection with a cousin, W. P. Nebeker, parcels of land were purchased or contracted for in and around Evanston, Wyo., Woodruff & Randolph, Utah. also in Southern Utah. These men were experi menting with irrigation for farming purposes etc.

His mother had the first store and bakery west of Main St. being located on North Temple Street between 6th and 7th West. The building is still standing at the present time ‎(Jan 1965)‎. Being used as a cafe,

W.J.N. then built a home on North Temple Street and lived there for many years. After this he located on 12th West Street at 3rd North. He was Station Agent at Stockton, Utah for Wells Fargo & Co. He also raised sheep in the Park Valley area ofUt ah. He was Bishops councilor in the 16th West, Salt Lake Stake. Held other Church Positions and was a High Councilman at the time of this death.

Was commissioned First Lieutenant Co. C 2nd Regiment Infantry 2nd Brigade 1st Division Nauvoo Legion, the Militia of Utah Territory in Salt Lake Military District, US. Dated Sept 19, 1869 -- signed by Acting Gov. S.A. Mann. He was a life memberin the Genealogical Society of Utah, Cert. #841, signed by Joseph F. Smith, Sec. Anthon H. Lund.

He and Thomas Knott formed and operated the Newman Knott Shoe Store at 120 Main Street. He later became sole owner. Two fires on these premises practically forced his out of business. He was a member of the Salt Lake Board of Ed. for 20 years.Pre sident of same 8 years,. He named the Jackson School after Stonewall Jackson and the Onequa after an Indian chief. He was well acquainted with several Tribes of Indians and spoke
the language of the Pocatello Indians. On the 13th of December 1956 the William Jackson Newman school in the Rose Park area of Salt Lake was named for him. He died 25 Nov. 1922 age 80 years. Was an ardent Temple worker until time of his death.

All documents quoted can be substantiated and are in possession of David H. Newman.


This short story left by William J. Newman is unsigned, but definitely in his handwriting. It is also undated. It was copied verbatim from the original in the possession of David H. Newman, Salt Lake City, Utah, his grandson.

The story of the move south, by a boy who moved. In the fall of 1857 a call was made for all able bodied men to join the Militia and go to Echo Canyon armed and equipped to resist the entrance of an army into the Salt Lake Valley, whose purpose w as to punish the people called Mormons for rebellion against the U.S. authorities. Some U.S. judges had falsified about us at Washington and had prevailed on the President James Buchanan, to send out an army to punish the Mormons. Especially the leaders, Brigham Young, Heber C. Kimball, Jedediah M. Grant and the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles and all the members of the Church.

Obedience, Faith and the Results

President Young called a meeting of all Latter Day Saints to meet in the old Tabernacle and counsel together. He there stated that he had rec'd enough persecution from armed mobs, and suggested that we move from our homes and suggested go south a ndlive in the mountains and put our trust in the Lord. But before the army came in we would burn our homes and leave the city and settlements to the mobs and in
Salt Lake Valley in ashes. It was unanimously agreed to. This was in March—April 1858. Very few families in the city had teams to move with and we sure felt the need of something to haul our food and clothing and some little furniture. We wouldno t carry enough food to last more than a week or two and we were going to the mountains to live and did not expect to come back. One morning in May 1858 word came to my mother from Bro. James dark of American Fork that if she could find anyone toc ome and bring his oxen and wagon down to Salt Lake- City she could have the free use of same and he and Sister dark find room in their house until they had to move. Mother asked several men to fetch the team offering to pay them for their trouble s but all were busy. I then said Ma, why can't I go and fetch that team? You know I drove oxen 5 years ago. I think I could bring them up all right. Well you know you will have to walk 35 miles to American Fork and you are too young to make it in a day and there are very few houses on the way
where you could stay all night, but I persisted and then my mother consented to my trying, so I went to bed early that night and got up about 5 o'clock the next morning and after breakfast I went out in the garden and cut a big stick and was alre ady for the start by seven o'clock. Mother cautioned me not to walk too fast but save my strength for the final spurt, telling me if I could not make it in the daylight to stop at Draper and tell Bro. Abraham Smith whose boy I was and she knew he would care for me overnight, I wanted to make it to American Fork in a day, so I started pretty lively, went down State Road, found it very muddy as far as Murray, I kept up a pretty good speed all the morning passing quite a number of ox teams that were pulling loads of furniture and provisions along through muddy roads. About eleven o’c1ock I got as far as Draper 20 miles from
Salt Lake. I stopped as I went up the mountain by some warm springs and ate my lunch and rested for about 1/2 an hour, then pushed on.

I was getting a little tired as I climbed the mountain or dugway as it was then called, but determined to push on. I went at pretty good speed down the other side and arrived at American Fork at 2:30 p.m. Bro. Clark was astonished to think that a boy ‎(16 years old)‎ should make the distance on foot from Salt Lake City to American Fork in a little over 7 hours. I will go and hunt my oxen at once so you can start for Sale Lake in the early morning. Well I got an early start in the morning an ddrove those oxen and empty wagon through that day. I saw many funny as well as pathetic sights. On my way back to the city just after leaving American Fork I crossed the American Fork Creek. It was pretty high with no bridge. After getting acros s, there were 2 or 3 wagons about to go over and some young people— the boys were rolling up their pants and some young girls were wondering how they should cross. One young man about 18 years old stepped in the water and had to stoop to roll up his pants higher when one of his sisters took a run and jumped on his back and splash they were flat in the water. The people on the bank had a good hearty laugh at the would be swimmers who afterwards joined in the laugh. I soon afterward passe d the spot where about 4 years before I saw some Shoshone Indians returning from a battle with the Utes, singing their war songs and dancing, their long poles on which were some 6 or 8 scalps they had taken from the Utes. The fight had occurred a t Battle Creek where now stands the town of Pleasant Grove.

With these thoughts in my mind I hurried the oxen along and soon was climbing the hill from the other side of the mountain and on coming around the dugway I saw all kinds of teams climbing the hill on the way south. The people nearly all walking with their children up the steep hill. I came along north to the warm spring, fed the oxen some corn fodder and then proceeded to eat my own dinner. After the rest I hitched up and started again for Salt Lake City. On the way I met with such a v ariety of teams and conveyances that was really laughable. Handcarts were plentiful where on was all the poor people had to live on. I saw 1 cart a man had put a tongue on. On one side of the tongue was a cow harnessed up and on the other side of thetongue was the man of the family. With the woman leading the cow and some 3 children on the cart, having a good ride and apparently all enjoying themselves. This was about where Sandy now is> Between there and Murray I met another queer looki ngteam. It was a wagon loaded with household goods and drawn by a donkey and an ox. The man was driving and the woman & children riding on the wagon. It was now getting dark so I drove the oxen up State Street from where Murray now is, as fast as I could, but the mud was deep and I could not drive very fast. The worst part was between 11th South and 9th. It certainly was a regular quagmire. I saw several wagons slatted in the mud and these did not appear much of a load they were down toth eir axletrees in the soft mud. I stopped and helped one out with my oxen and how glad he was to get the help. For his wife and quite a few children were shivering by the roadside. I thought he would never get through thanking me. I assure youI fe lt well paid for the help I had given.

I got home about 10 o'clock. Went to bed and had a good sleep that night. The next day I and my mother loaded up our few household things» Some flour, a little bacon, a pound or two of sugar and a jar of molasses & the bedding. We had to wait and put in on the wagon in the morning. We left about nine o'clock for by that time we had everything loaded even to the old cat. I thought we had better take the road by Harkers Fort. Proved to be a very happy thought. Why go down muddy State Street .I had been on what is now the Redwood Road west of the Jordan River, it certainly could be no worse than State Road. After shedding a few tears at leaving our home, away we went. West on North Temple—crossing the old wooden bridge and then on ad iagonal line south west to what is now called the Redwood Road, but while going on this crossroad a circumstance happened which will be ever fresh in my memory. The cat jumped off the wagon. I stopped and ran to catch the cat. Having caught pussy , I passed it up to my mother. Just then a gentleman and lady came up to us and stopped—having a horse & buggy—proceeded to ask my mother questions as to where she was going. I now saw who it was—Gov. Cummings and Lady who had just arrivedin the city a few days before. He asked why people were moving and where were they going. Mother told him she did not know. The people had been counseled to move to avoid the army. He seemed puzzled what to say but thought she should not take those lit tle children in to so wild a country. Just then I observed the tears in Mrs. Cummings eyes. He made the remark queer peop1e, strange peop1e. He bid us good day and passed on. In a few minutes we again had a good road all the way to Barker's Fort now called Taylorsvllle. In fact the road was good all the way to Gardners Mill where we again crossed the river, went on to
Sandy and then on towards Draper. Leaving Sandy a man passed us leading a cow. He -- I suppose seeing a boy driving and no doubt wondered how far we would be going that night -- he finally asked my mother where we were going to put up that night. She answered that she knew a Sister Smith who lived on the road just west of Draper and thought we might get accommodations there. She then asked him if he could direct her to where she lived. He said he could and pointed out the place some thre e miles further along, saying at the same time no doubt she would be very welcome. He passed traveling faster than we. On our arrival at the Smith residence, who should we see but the same man who had been leading the cow. After an introduction b y hiswife, we had a good laugh at his joke. We were certainly well received and passed a very pleasant evening,
My mother and Sister Smith had a good time rehearsing their old acquaintance in England. In the morning we again started for American Fork and arrived there in the afternoon and were made very welcome by Bro. and Sister Clark.

The following found in a subsequent history will finish this document.


On my arrival at American Fork, I helped James Clark finish his house; which we had the use of and stood guard nights until some time in June. I came to the city and planted some potatoes in the lot as I saw the Bishop and some others doing. I wa ited down at the city until the word came that we could move back to our homes. I then went to American Fork and moved by folks back to the city. We got back just after the troops had moved through.

View Notes for ...

There are no Source citations for this individual.

View Sources for ...


Multimedia Object
William John Newman FamilyWilliam John Newman Family  ‎(M26)‎

Show Details Note: Back Row : Thomas, Stephen Allen, David, Arthur
Center Row: William McKean, William John Newman, Mary Gulick McKean Newman, Theadore McKean, Stonewall Jackson, Edward Gulick
‎(Missing- Mary Ann born 11 Mar 1873 and died 5 Aug 1878)‎

Show Details Note: Back Row : Thomas, Stephen Allen, David, Arthur
Center Row: William McKean, William John Newman, Mary Gulick McKean Newman, Theadore McKean, Stonewall Jackson, Edward Gulick
‎(Missing- Mary Ann born 11 Mar 1873 and died 5 Aug 1878)‎

Multimedia Object
William John NewmanWilliam John Newman  ‎(M25)‎

Multimedia Object
William J. Newman death certificateWilliam J. Newman death certificate  ‎(M154)‎
Type: Certificate

Multimedia Object
William J. Newman FamilyWilliam J. Newman Family  ‎(M155)‎
Type: Photo

Mary Gulick McKean
View Media for ...

Family with Parents
William Newman ‎(I493)‎
Birth 21 January 1818 31 26 South Witham, Lincolnshire, England
Death 8 February 1851 ‎(Age 33)‎ St. Louis, St. Louis, Missouri, USA
-8 years
Mary Ann Jackson ‎(I494)‎
Birth 3 June 1810 28 20 Langtoft, Lincolnshire, England
Death 10 March 1886 ‎(Age 75)‎ Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, USA

Marriage: 11 March 1839 -- South Witham Parish, South Witham, Lincolnshire, England
1 month
‎(unknown)‎ Newman ‎(I495)‎
Birth 17 April 1839 21 28 South Witham, Lincolnshire, England
Death 17 April 1839 South Witham, Lincolnshire, England
13 months
Thomas Newman ‎(I496)‎
Birth 30 May 1840 22 29 South Witham, Lincolnshire, England
Death 10 February 1851 ‎(Age 10)‎
2 years
William John Newman ‎(I483)‎
Birth 25 February 1842 24 31 South Witham, Lincolnshire, England
Death 25 November 1922 ‎(Age 80)‎ Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, USA
2 years
Sarah Ann Dorothy Newman ‎(I818)‎
Birth 17 May 1844 26 33 South Witham, Lincolnshire, England
Death 20 October 1897 ‎(Age 53)‎
2 years
Martha Mary Newman ‎(I497)‎
Birth 26 August 1846 28 36 South Witham, Lincolnshire, England
Death 5 February 1847 ‎(Age 5 months)‎ South Witham, Lincolnshire, England
3 years
Allen Jackson Newman ‎(I498)‎
Birth 13 July 1849 31 39 South Witham, Lincolnshire, England
Death 19 April 1850 ‎(Age 9 months)‎ South Witham, Lincolnshire, England
2 years
Stephen Jackson Newman ‎(I500)‎
Birth 8 May 1851 33 40 St. Louis, St. Louis, Missouri, USA
Death 30 January 1912 ‎(Age 60)‎ Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, USA
Family with Mary Gulick McKean
William John Newman ‎(I483)‎
Birth 25 February 1842 24 31 South Witham, Lincolnshire, England
Death 25 November 1922 ‎(Age 80)‎ Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, USA
10 years
Mary Gulick McKean ‎(I484)‎
Birth 10 October 1851 21 26 Toms River, Ocean, New Jersey, USA
Death 18 September 1894 ‎(Age 42)‎ Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, USA

Marriage: 14 November 1870 -- Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, USA
10 months
William McKean Newman ‎(I816)‎
Birth 16 September 1871 29 19 Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, USA
Death 31 March 1939 ‎(Age 67)‎ Rosette, Box Elder, Utah, USA
18 months
Mary Ann Newman ‎(I486)‎
Birth 11 March 1873 31 21 Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, USA
Death 5 March 1878 ‎(Age 4)‎ Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, USA
2 years
Theodore McKean Newman ‎(I489)‎
Birth 11 January 1875 32 23 Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, USA
Death 10 June 1932 ‎(Age 57)‎ Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, USA
3 years
Stephen Allen Newman ‎(I490)‎
Birth 15 May 1878 36 26 Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, USA
Death 14 May 1956 ‎(Age 77)‎ Ogden, Weber, Utah, USA
2 years
David Newman ‎(I479)‎
Birth 4 April 1880 38 28 Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, USA
Death 19 June 1959 ‎(Age 79)‎ Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, USA
2 years
Thomas Newman ‎(I488)‎
Birth 26 March 1882 40 30 Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, USA
Death 18 January 1945 ‎(Age 62)‎ Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, USA
3 years
Arthur Newman ‎(I487)‎
Birth 26 June 1885 43 33 Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, USA
Death 30 May 1909 ‎(Age 23)‎ Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, USA
4 years
Edward Gulick Newman ‎(I491)‎
Birth 16 September 1889 47 37 Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, USA
Death 27 February 1978 ‎(Age 88)‎ Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, USA
2 years
Stonewall Jackson Newman ‎(I492)‎
Birth 3 September 1891 49 39 Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, USA
Death 15 August 1967 ‎(Age 75)‎ , , California, USA
2 years
Francis Newman ‎(I485)‎
Birth 18 December 1893 51 42 Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, USA
Death 5 February 1961 ‎(Age 67)‎ Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, USA